Healing Pelvic health: Understanding Diastasis Recti
5 minute read, Written By: Momly
Pregnancy impacts your pelvic floor by loosening the muscles around the pelvic area. It is common occurrence because the weight of the baby puts lot of pressure in the abdominal wall and pelvic region. All pregnancy women have diastasis recti. The pressure causes the linea alba between abdominis muscles to loosen and stretch out. This spirals into a big gap in the abdomen. This blog answers common queries all new moms have about Diastasis Recti with expert backed resource and tips.
Significant causes of Diastasis Recti
Diastasis Recti is often due to pregnancy as the weight of the baby on the uterus and abdominal muscles can loosen the connective tissues. But there are other factors too which can cause Diastasis Recti because of abnormal abdominal girth. Some of the factors are namely improper abdominal exercises, multiple pregnancies, abnormal weight gain, excess strain on abdominal muscles, surgeries in the past, constipation etc.
Are there any recti-friendly exercises to correct DR (Diastasis Recti)?
These are some of the best exercises targeted to heal Diastasis Recti:
- Glute bridge – Lie down. Bend your knees and place apart your feet with arms by your side. Lift your hips and lower back by digging the heels to the ground. Work on your glutes as you move up by squeezing them. Pause for couple of seconds and slowly relax for 5 mins and come back to the ground.
- Abdominal compression – Sit upright. Let your back be straight. Sit as if your knees are at 90 degrees angle. Breathe in and out by keeping your hands on your abdomen. While exhaling, tighten or contract the abs and pelvic region. Relax and repeat slowly.
- Diaphragmatic Breathing – Breathing into your diaphragm builds core strength and strengthen abdominal muscles. Deep rhythmic breaths by contracting your diaphragm will expand the lungs and align the core muscles.
What Momly Expert has to say about Diastasis Recti?
- 1 in 3 women who are pregnant face Diastasis Recti. Around 6th week of postpartum women can do self-assessment to check whether she is having Diastasis Recti.
- Pelvic floor muscles, abdominal muscles, core muscles are all keeping the internal organs safe. Diastasis Recti can cause incontinence, constipation, problem in deep breathing in women
- Avoid heavy lifting as it can worsen Diastasis Recti symptoms.
- Around 6 to 8 weeks of postpartum, women can consult the doctor to understand about Diastasis Recti and get tested for the same.
- Take a turn while getting up from bed to avoid pressure in your abdominal area
- Along with exercises, maintain a good balanced diet that includes adequate amount of protein for tissue and muscle repair.
- Do not put lot of pressure during bowel period. A fiber-rich diet will prevent constipation. In addition to the diet, staying hydrated always helps.
A word of caution – Avoid crunches, jumping, sit-ups and running as it will create tension in abdominal area and put more strain and cause severe distress to connective tissue. Work with your fitness expert to know what Diastasis Recti exercises are suitable for your body type. Based on your type of birth and body threshold, your fitness expert will tailor the exercises. Always focus on low-intensity movements and exercises in your postnatal period and then move on to high intensity exercises after you have completely healed from childbirth. Do not self-practice Diastasis healing exercises as it will only cause unnecessary health risks like belly muscles separation. Make sure you show to the practitioner before practicing any exercises and if suffering from Diastasis Recti, have a well-planned personalized care plan to take corrective measures.
Connect with Momly
Momly is women only platform to meet and grow with women at different stages of motherhood. A safe platform where every mom feels seen, heard and valued. Along with Momly socials and fun catch-ups, Momly connect helps you in health insights in the prenatal and postnatal period. From prenatal childbirth education to postpartum recovery management, Momly is a one-stop destination for women from the stage of pregnancy to early motherhood. Check our Momly Insta live session on Diastasis Recti with health expert to explore more about this condition.
Reach out to us on Momly Whatsapp group and download Momly App to seek more personalized care.
Psst..you asked for city-wise split and we are here with Momly region wise Whatsapp group. Join Momly Whatsapp group to get city-wise group link.